Android App
Apple App

We're here to help

At Seattle Credit Union we work hard to support everyone in our community in their financial journey. If you do not have a Social Security Number (SSN) and are looking to secure an ITIN, we can help you. Our certified acceptance agents can verify people's supporting documentation and assist in answering any questions you may have.

To schedule an appointment and receive assistance in applying for an ITIN, please call us at 206.398.5500 or toll-free at 800.334.2489.


What is an ITIN?

An ITIN, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is a tax processing number, issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), for certain residents and non-residents, their spouses, and their dependents.

What is the purpose of an ITIN?

ITINs are used for tax purposes only, and are not intended to serve any other purpose. IRS issues ITINs to help individuals comply with the U.S. tax laws, and to provide a means to efficiently process and account for tax returns and payments for those not eligible for Social Security Numbers.

What is the process?

In order to start the process the applicant has to set up an appointment at one of our local Seattle Credit Union branches and have the proper documentation, along with their tax returns (if available).

We provide the forms needed to complete the application, including a W7, Certificate of Accuracy, and an official letter stating the applicant is opening an interest-bearing account.

What is the time frame?

Once the application is mailed, it typically takes 4–6 weeks to get an ITIN from the IRS.There is no cost to apply for an ITIN.

In order to qualify for an ITIN the applicant must provide proof of foreign status and identity. The chart below lists the only acceptable documents. You will need one document proving your foreign status and another document proving your identity.

Do you have a passport?

Your passport* can serve as both your status and identity documentation.

Type of Supporting Documentation Foreign Status Identity
United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Photo Identification Not Accepted
Visa issued by the U.S. Department of State Not Accepted
United States Driver's License Not Accepted
United States Military Identification Card Not Accepted
Foreign Driver's License Not Accepted
United States Identification Card Not Accepted
Foreign Military Identification Card
National Identification Card (Must be current, and contain name, photograph, address, date of birth, and expiration date)
Foreign Voter's Registration card
Civil Birth Certificate
Medical Records (Valid only for dependent under age 6)
School Records (Valid only for dependent under age 18)

Download the PDF

For additional information, please visit

* Passport must have a date of entry for dependents, unless from Canada, Mexico, or dependents of U.S. military personnel stationed overseas.

** May be used to establish foreign status only if documents are foreign.

itin application icon

If you want help applying for your individual tax identification number, reach out to us at the number below. We're here to help.

Call Us: 800.334.2489